Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Istanbul: The Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque

It was in the winter of 2008 when I first learned about the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. Ever since then Turkey was in my number 1 spot of places I wanted to go in the world. I finally was able to go, but I must admit, I never thought I would. Below is Chris and I in front of the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. AWESOME!
Our flight from Kayseri to Istanbul was short. It took us some time at the Istanbul airport to figure out where we were going to stay and what we would do. It took an hour on the metro and then the tram to get to Sultanhammet Park which is in the center of the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque - two of the most popular sites in the city.Here is the Hagia Sophia up close. Hagia Sophia means "Holy Wisdom" by the way. It may seem weird to do a whole post about 2 buildings, but they were pretty breathtaking. So what is this building? It was originally a basillica (church basically) built by the Roman Empire after Constantine made Christianity the official religion and made Constantinople (Istanbul today) the capital.The church you have seen the in the pictures is not the first church that began in the year 360 (it burned down in a fire), nor is it the second church made to replace it in or around 415 (also burned down in a fire). The building that exists today was built by Emperor Justinian. A few days after the second church burned down, on February 23, 532, Justinian announced they would build a bigger and more grand church. The stones you see above and below (stones with lambs on them) were part of the 2nd church that still remain on the grounds today.
Some pretty old stuff we're looking at! I love the lamb design representing "the lamb of God"
From 360-1453 this place was used as a place of worship by Christians, but when the area came under Muslim rule this site was converted into a mosque (the city name was also changed from Constantinople to Istanbul by the Muslims). From 1453-1931 Muslims prayed in this mosque until it was finally made into a museum by the new Turkish Republic in 1935. For over a thousand years this place was sacred to both Muslims and Christians. The history in this place, in the entire city is immense!
Here is the Emperors' door leading into the main part of the Hagia Sophia. Pretty massive doors leading into an incredibly massive room. For nearly a thousand years this building was the largest Cathedral in the world, and both Chris and I remember hearing that for a large portion of time it was also the largest building in the world, though we're having a hard time finding a source for that.
Inside the Hagia Sophia. This place is truly amazing. Unfortunately, pictures just don't do it justice. Here is Chris standing in the halls. Its sooooooo old!!
The opposite hall.
This building is so huge and so open! From the huge dome at the top down the floor the building is 56 meters.
It is hard to get it all in one picture. Throughout the building you can see signs of both Islam and Christianity that filled the building thoughout its long history. There are many Christian mosaics which were plastered over by the Muslims when they took over, but because this building is now a museum people have begun to restore the building and remove the plaster.
Here is a better view of the building from the second floor. The place was filled with people due to its popular nature.
Behind me you can see green medalions hanging with Arabic writing on them. Each medallion has a different name written on it. One has the name Allah, then Mohammad, then the 4 caliphs (the men who ruled after Mohammad), and also Husain, one of the son's of Ali, Mohammad's son in law.
I'm just trying to show every angle I can. This is probably one of the most incredible buildings I have ever entered in my life.
This stairway is what the Imam (Muslim religious leader) would climb to teach his people during Mosque on Fridays. In the back you can see the Mihrab which points the way to Mecca. It is the direction Muslims pray towards.
Again, the Mihrab, with some incredible stain glass above it.
For some reason these two cats were just hanging out. They would let the tourists come and pet them. They weren't afraid or anything. There is a pretty calm feeling inside, even though there is a lot of activity going on.
Here is one of the mosaics uncovered in the restoration. It is the virgin Mary and Jesus. This mosaic is directly above the Mihrab.
This angel is directly to the right of the virgin Mary above.
This mosaic (an angel?) was only recently uncovered a few years ago, which goes to show that the Hagia Sophia is still a work in progress.
This is the very spot in the building where the throne of the emperor was.
This is the wishing pillar. You put your thumb inside, turn your hand, and make a wish. Tourists probably do this a thousand times a day. Its because of a legend that dates back pretty far about an angel touching this pillar or something like that. There are a few legends about it.
Anothe view of this amazing place. I wish I could describe how great this place is! Words and pictures just aren't enough.
Here is a mosaic. Its supposed to be either Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John. Chris thinks its Luke, and Matthew.
A panoramic trying to show the full scope of this place.
Here is a mosaic of Jesus, Mary, and John.
The intricate designs at the top of the pillars are carved into stone. Pretty cool huh?
Another view of the inside from the second floors. On one of the stones of the second floor, a viking who had visited hundreds of years earlier had carved his name. A viking! Not kosher by today's standards, but I think its pretty awesome.
Here is the baptistry. Who knows how many people must have been baptized in this font?
The font of the baptistry.
This is the ablution area outside the Hagia Sophia. This is the place where Muslims would come and ritually wash themselves for prayer before entering the mosque.
Me in front of the Hagia Sophia on a different day. I have to say that this place was much more incredible than I imagined when Dr. Seely taught us about it. It definitely exceeded my expectations.
Here it is at night behind the colored fountain. The minarets were obviously added after the Muslims took control of the city. This building influenced the architecture of many buildings throughout much of the world. It was revolutionary for its time.
Now on to the Blue Mosque. The Blue Mosque just sits across Sultanhamet Park from the Hagia Sophia. When Mehmet the Conqueror took over and turned the Hagia Sophia into a mosque, he wanted to design a more spectacular and bigger building than the Hagia Sophia. He failed, although it is still beautiful.
A view of the Blue Mosque from Sultanhamet park. This was my first view of the mosque.
Here I am in front of the mosque. Muslims still worship here today although many tourists are allowed inside during non-prayer times.
Here is Chris relaxing inside the court area where Muslims do their ablutions.
Inside the mosque are probably the biggest pillars I have ever seen in my life.
Here is the prayer area that faces Mecca. Of course we had to take our shoes off inside the mosque which is customary for all mosques around the world.
Me inside the mosque. There is a guy behind me about to pray. We're not supposed to take pics of people praying. It was an accident!
Outside the Blue Mosque. I don't have much to say about it other than it is a beautiful building.

And finally, the Blue Mosque at night with a green flowing fountain. Istanbul is an amazing city I have to say. We weren't going to visit these sites until we had been in Istanbul for awhile but due to some things being closed we came here first, and I am glad we did. Our hotel was only 5-10 minutes away from these two buildings so why not? They were in the middle of so much of what we did in Istanbul. I'll post more later!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I really have an appreciation for Orthodox churches and all of them practically blend together in my mind, but the Hagia Sophia is truly unique. I would love to see it someday. By the way, the mosaic of the two saints you posted, the first is John and the second is Ignatius, I'm pretty sure. I can read most of it because Cyrillic is taken from ancient Greek. I guess my degree is good for something, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mark, I am constantly amazed at the many wonderful and beautiful things you get to see! Thank you for sharing all these pictures and information about them. I Love the picture of the baptistry, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete